Cover image: ANDREW CABALLERO-REYNOLDS / AFP
- The Ukrainian army is engaged in a confrontation ” fierce “ with Russian forces attempting to seize Vouhledar, located 150 kilometers from Bakhmout, in Donetsk Oblast. Both sides have claimed victory, but the city remains contested according to Kyiv.
- A new Russian offensive is being prepared for February 24, a year to the day after Russia invaded Ukraine., assured Oleksi Danilov, secretary of the Council of Defense and National Security of Ukraine. According to the Institute for the Study of War, Russia is seeking to “disperse” Ukrainian forces in order to “to create the conditions for a decisive offensive operation”.
- In the east, in Chassiv Yar, two people were killed on Friday and at least five injured in Russian artillery firelocal authorities said.
- Ukrainian President Volodylyr Zelensky hailed Poland’s announced decision to deliver 60 more tanks to his countryhalf of which will be a modernized version of the Soviet T-72, after the 14 German-made Leopard 2s already promised.
- North Korea on Friday condemned the United States’ decision to send tanks to Ukraine. Washington feeds a “proxy war to destroy Russia”, lambasted Kim Yo-jong, sister of leader Kim Jong-un. Pyongyang will be held ” still “ alongside the Russians, she added.
- Three hundred and twenty-one heavy tanks have been promised to Ukraine by several Western countriesdeclared Friday on BFM-TV the ambassador of Ukraine in France, Vadym Omelchenko.
- President Zelensky denounced the“hypocrisy” of the International Olympic Committee, who despite repeated calls from kyiv to ban Russian and Belarusian athletes from the 2024 Olympics scheduled for Paris, the IOC said on Wednesday ” to study “ the possibility of authorizing them to participate under a neutral banner.
- The European Union decided on Friday to extend for six months its sanctions imposed on Russia when it annexed Ukraine’s Crimean peninsula in 2014 and prepares new measures against Moscow.
Find our live yesterday by clicking on this link.
Read all our articles, analyzes and reports on the war in Ukraine
Decryptions. The first prisoners recruited by Wagner to fight in Ukraine return to civilian life, free
Investigation. Despite the war in Ukraine, Wagner continues to weave his web in Africa
Decryptions. How and when will the tanks promised to kyiv be delivered?
Reportage. In Georgia, Russian deserters put to the test of exile
Decryptions. Ukraine at war with Russian propagandists
Editorial. Facing Russia, the asset of the resilience of the European economy
Portrait. Hélène Carrère d’Encausse, a great connoisseur of Russia “in the fog”
Narrative. In Moscow, Russians dare to lay flowers for Ukraine: “I’m a coward, but that, at least, I can”
Testimonials. The diary of two Ukrainian sisters: “The Russians would have increased their presence in Ukraine. Everyone is talking about a new attack on kyiv. It makes my blood run cold”
Factual. The responses of ” World “ to your most frequently asked questions