Cover image: MICHEL COMTE / AFP
- Ukraine was the target Thursday of new Russian bombardments which left at least eleven dead and eleven injured, and caused power outages in the country. According to the Ukrainian military, Russia fired 55 missiles at Ukraine and “47 were destroyed, including twenty” on the outskirts of Kyiv.
- This new wave of bombardments came the day after Washington and Berlin authorized the transfer of dozens of heavy tanks to kyiv, an unprecedented decision in eleven months of war. The United States has promised to send thirty-one Abrams, while Germany must provide fourteen Leopard 2 type 2A6 from its army stocks.
- “We already have twelve countries in our tank coalition”said Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky, following Canada’s announcement on Thursday to provide four Leopard tanks to Ukraine. According to several media, the coalition of countries ready to provide such armor also includes Denmark and the Netherlands, in addition to Poland and Finland. Spain confirmed to be “willing” to also deliver tanks.
- France is still reluctant to deliver Leclerc tanks to Ukraine. The French heavy armored fleet is reduced to 226, and Paris has no immediate replacement solution.
- The Kremlin considers the delivery of tanks to be proof of the“direct involvement in the conflict” Westerners. And “we see that [cet engagement] grows »noted Thursday the spokesman of the Russian presidency, Dmitry Peskov.
- Ukrainian grain production is likely to decline again in 2023. The area sown has fallen and the grain and oilseed harvest in Ukraine is expected to reach “53 million tons”compared to 65 million in 2022, according to estimates by the Ukrainian Grain Association.
Find our live yesterday by clicking on this link.
Read all our articles, analyzes and reports on the war in Ukraine
Portrait. Hélène Carrère d’Encausse, a great connoisseur of Russia “in the fog”
Factual. In Moscow, Russians dare to lay flowers for Ukraine: “I’m a coward, but that, at least, I can”
Testimonials. The diary of two Ukrainian sisters: “The Russians would have increased their presence in Ukraine. Everyone is talking about a new attack on kyiv. It makes my blood run cold”
Factual. Czech presidential election: candidate Babis exploits fear of war
Factual. Between support for kyiv and risk of escalation with Moscow, the crest line of Westerners
Editorial. A political message addressed to Russia
Factual. Olaf Scholz denies delay in approving delivery of heavy tanks to Ukraine
Factual. The responses of ” World “ to your most frequently asked questions